Monday, November 23, 2009

Ch Ch Ch Changes

So, the paper that I was supposed to be writing on Saturday has finally been turned in. I got up at 3 this morning to finish it. Oww.

Next semester will not be like this.

That is a promise I am making to myself.

For some reason, I have always felt that I need to have an overflowing schedule. This year, I am taking 18 credits (the max for BYU), plus I'm a TA for a 3-credit class. I do all the readings that the students do, so I'm effectively taking 21 credits. In addition, I volunteer for a hospice center. I'm currently assigned to three patients, who are scattered across the valley. I also have another job on the side (which frequently gets neglected), 5 great roommates, two ward callings, a boy (hee hee, betcha didn't know that!), a set of fun friends and wardies, and a fab fam. That is quite the lot of things to occupy me. It's probably too much. No, it's definitely too much. My perfectionist self needs to be quiet so I can have a schedule that is Less Than Full to Bursting.

The problem is, I love having all of those things in my life. It's hard to let any of them go. I have to come up with a solution of some sort.

Here is my plan:
  1. Take fewer credits next semester. I've narrowed it down to 16, but I think I might be able to whittle it further. I can still have school in my life, just not backbreaking school.
  2. Have alone time. It's hard to deal with so many people (even though I love them) all the time. I need to spend time with Me.
  3. Sleep. Things take a lot longer if you're exhausted. I might as well sleep and be more efficient.
  4. Change the volunteering situation. This one hurts. I love doing the hospice visits, but it's time for me to explore other areas of social work, preferably at places that don't require so much driving. Right now I'm looking @ Wasatch Mental Health, which is almost right next door.
  5. Realize that not everyone close to me lives or dies by how much time I spend with them. I am not always available to everyone at the same time. They need to learn that, and so do I.
I think that's good. We'll see how this goes. I am now off to take a quick nap and work on another paper. Peace.

4 comments:

Rozanne said...

Who took your family picture? Cute! And (ahem), boy??

Jessica C. Gilliland said...

The family picture was taken with my dad's camera on a tripod. It turned out pretty well, I think, for not having anyone behind the camera!

And... Yup! A boy! He has the same name as your hubby... :)

Lara B said...

I had just heard about this boy last week and I am so excited! I hope you will make the time to hang out with him :) Good for you for making an effort to do better next semester. You are great- good luck!

*amber* said...

I cannot express how happy I am Jessica is back in my small blogging universe! I missed you on here buddy! so um... I still need to interigate you about david... especially because I heard about him from briana and not you... ahem. hahaha but anyway I said I would call you but I think I'd rather talk in person cuz I'm not much of a phone talker. So let me know when you're free because I need to hear EVERYTHING! I feel so out of the loop now!