Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What makes you a good candidate for this position?

Well, I finished my paper and turned it in yesterday. It was even in a whole 45 minutes before it was due! If my parents are reading this, their jaws are probably hitting the floor right about now. I'm notorious for being so nitpicky about a paper that I edit and fuss over it until the absolute last second before it's due. Perhaps that disease is being replaced by apathy.... We'll see.

I interviewed for a job today. They asked me what I consider to be my greatest strength and my greatest weakness. The aforementioned nitpickiness was what I said my greatest weakness was. It's pretty much true. I said that my greatest strength was that I can leave projects and come back to them with better ideas. I think that's true as well, but I'd never thought of it as a strength before. Random! I really wonder why I gave that answer.

For some reason I hate preparing ahead of time for interviews. I knew they would ask me the strengths/weaknesses question, but I avoided preparing an answer because it's an awkward question and I don't like thinking about it more than I have to. ALL interview questions are awkward.

Q: "Would you say you are a self-starter?" Of course I'm going say yes! What, do they expect someone to say, "Umm, no, actually, I need someone to hold my hand every step of the way and I have NO initiative whatsoever."

Q:"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
A:"Hmm, that's a toughie. I'd like to think that I'll be sitting in a cardboard box, reading the five-month-old issue of The New York Times that I use as a blanket on the cold nights."

1 comment:

Lara B said...

You are so funny! I just love interviews, they are all the same with those lame questions. Good luck I hope you get the job.