Thursday, January 27, 2011

Today today today

My title says "today" 3 times because I feel like I've been through about 72 hours worth of stuff today.

Good news:

I finally got a job! Hooray! I've been desperately looking for a job with more hours this semester, and I finally snagged one. I started today. The job hours are 4:30 AM to 8:00 AM. I clean the basement of a building on campus. GLAMOROUSSSS!!!!! Seriously though, I am so grateful for this job. I need it, like baaaaadddd do I need the money from this job. Work was a little tough today, since starting a new job is always hard, as is vacuuming at 4:30 AM.

Bad news:

My research grant was declined. :( Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, and more sad. I applied for this research grant last year in hopes that I would get the grant and be able to work in a certain lab within my major. The grant was unfortunately my only chance of getting into this lab, so now that the grant is a no-no, I might not be able to work with the lab or the professor that I wanted to work with. Muy triste. I'm quite disappointed. I'm trying to look on the bright side though. I'm sure there's a good reason why I didn't get the grant. Maybe this will be a chance to search out other opportunities that will be awesome and amazing beyond my wildest dreams.

Other stuff:

I have had student consultations ALL day today and yesterday. I have never had this many students come to me for help on their papers! I'm actually loving it. I like getting the chance to help people find the solutions they need. The great thing is, they usually know the right answer--they just need someone to bounce their ideas off until the answer becomes clear. I feel like I'm doing mini therapy sessions with these students as they write their papers. :) NERD ALERT, JCroft. NERD ALERT.

1 comment:

*amber* said...

Jessica, I'm sorry you didn't get your grant. I've learned (SEVERAL times over the past 3 years) that sometimes things happen or don't happen for a reason, but they always lead to something better. I've flip-flopped all over the place with major choosing, etc. but I'm finally starting to feel like I'm in the place I should be. And all those little side trips along the way have given me a better perspective. Good luck my friend, and just trust in the Lord. Things always happen in their time.