Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Broken phone - but things could be worse

You guys. My phone is broken. Dumb!

Actually, it still technically functions, but it's looking pretty sad. See the picture? Tragic. Poor little red phone. Before I got this particular phone, I had another phone that was exactly like it--same color, same model--but the hinge broke randomly one night when I flipped my phone open to answer a call. A little piece of plastic snapped off and *peeeeew!* went flying off into the sunset. What did I ever do to deserve this, you silly little piece of plastic? I've done nothing but care for you! (And accidentally drop you on the floor. And accidentally leave you in my frozen car overnight. And accidentally lose you literally two or three times a day. Anyway....) According to the Verizon store, this particular phone model causes hinge problems for a lot of people, so they gave me a replacement phone, since I was still under warranty.

I realize now that I should have asked for a different phone, since now the same part of the phone is broken. Actually, it broke in exactly the same way--a little scrap of plastic flew into the air when I opened the phone. And the same person who called me the last time my phone broke was the person who called me this time my phone broke! Nuts!

Anyhoodles, now I am on the hunt for a replacement phone. I don't want to pay a million bucks for a new phone when I can get a cheapo temporary one for now, then a free phone in December when my contract renews.

Wow, I am so lucky. Seriously! I'm not being sarcastic here. I really am lucky! Here I am, blogging from my own personal laptop, sitting at a desk in a comfortable room with air conditioning, whining about how my own personal cell phone has a broken hinge. If I lived in Nigeria, I might have to worry about militant attacks like this one. If I lived in Kirkuk, Iraq, I might have to worry about car bombs. If I lived in Honduras, I might have to worry about my president being kidnapped in a coup. The list could go on. In short, I am happy to have a broken cell phone!

2 comments:

Rach said...

Hey... I was about to say that bottom part... although I was just gonna go with "at least you have a phone" But I totally agree... You're absolutely right, Kaylie and I were actually talking about that today, how some people in this world, don't even have TOILETS... or food, or CLEAN water! We have all of that, and so much more!!! And we have the gospel... so I consider myself, to be one of the LUCKIEST people on Earth!! And... I don't even have a phone... :)

BS said...

Very insightful. Funny beginning, and moral end. Love this entry. Thank you. :)