Friday, June 26, 2009

Update on the dentist

So... apparently I have two options for my wisdom tooth extraction nightmare.
  1. Get a needle jabbed into my gums a few times so I can be awake for the bone-crunching, gum-ripping surgery, which will last about 40 minutes, but not feel any pain.
  2. Get an IV and be sedated--that is, thrown into the freaky, dark nothingness of unconsciousness--then wake up 40 minutes later acting like a goofball.
Hmm.... Is there an option #3? I really can't decide which scary, intimidating, unattractive path to choose. My fears for the local anaesthesia (option 1) are that it won't completely dull the pain and I'll be trying not to scream for the whole 40 minutes. I have a low pain tolerance. Like, kinda really low, unless I'm working out. Just ask my mom. And my roommate. And my basketball teacher from my sophomore year of high school. And the lady who rescued me in her van when I crashed my bike in March. Yeah... I think I might be okay with being awake to feel them pressing on my jaw and whatnot (as long as there is no pain!), but I'm not sure.

My fears for the IV sedation (option #2) are that I will be too freaked out by the IV needle (if they put it in my hand, that is. I'd be okay with it in my arm.) and that I'll be sick when I wake up from the surgery. People in my family have had bad experiences with being violently ill after waking up from a general anaesthesia. I also don't know if I'd like the feeling of being completely and totally unconscious of everything that is happening to me for nearly an hour. Hmm...

Anyway, I still haven't decided. I suppose that getting teeth ripped out of your gums can't really be a "good" experience no matter what happens. I'll be "out of commission" for at least two days. Ooo, I won't even be able to go to the gym. That bites... I hate it when my routine is thrown off!! (Por ejemplo, I had yogurt for breakfast instead of oatmeal this morning, and now I feel like a little piece of my universe is out of place. Bah.)

Some of you have said that your wisdom teefers experiences weren't all that bad, so I'm hoping mine will be the same way! Apparently my oral surgeon is pretty talented, so hopefully it won't be too traumatic. :)

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Okay, now I've got a question: who's your oral surgeon?

I'm extremely scared of needles, so since I see it as 1) a single needle to put a tube in or 2) a billion needles in my mouth, I'm going with the first one. They said they'd put it in my arm, and that the needle was very small and just for inserting the catheter. I'll just close my eyes and hope that it'll work out.

I was scared about being sick, too, but they said they've had almost no one get sick because of the huge amount of anti-nausea medication they put in these days. So hopefully I'll be okay. :)

Good luck!

Ian said...

You get an option? Well, I guess options generally come with consultations, which I didn't get, either. Luckily my old bishop is my current dentist, and somehow his heavenly skills translate into his profession, because my experience with getting my wisdom teeth removed was quite fun and painless, actually (I just had the Novocain injections) ; I love it when I have an excuse to eat ice cream for every meal.

Holly and Derek said...

Oh Jessica you are too funny! I say go for option #1!!

That is what I did and I liked being awake because the dentist kept letting me take a break and didn't just crank my mouth open for 40 minutes straight. I think that is why I had no swelling or bruising. I had brought my CD player (ok it was like 8 years ago, but honestly) just bring your ipod and then you don't hear anything, and close your eyes! You don't have to worry about a thing and then you don't have to deal with all of those side effects of being completely out!

Not all of my wisdom teeth were compacted so maybe that does make a difference.
Good Luck you are going to make the right decision for you but seriously it is not as bad as people make it out to be! You will do great!!!

Rozanne said...

I was put out, and I loved it. I woke up once and saw the needle and "thread" going out of my mouth and freaked, so they just gave me more juice in my arm. If you do choose the knocked out option, just tell them you want it in your arm, not your hand. I totally agree on that one.

MackenziLee said...

dear jessica.
I have the same dilema. Please let me know what you decide so it can help me decide. They both sound awful!
Love, Kenz
PS I love your blog. it reminds me of my life.