Friday, July 31, 2009

Sniff... sniff...

I've always been amazed by the phenomenon of odor memory. (Eew, I hate that o-word. It sounds awkward.) Isn't it weird how just a whiff of a certain smell can trigger memories out of nowhere? Freaky...

For instance, smelling pineapple body lotion makes me think of middle school, and thus makes me feel a little bit sick. I'm not kidding.

The smell of Aussie hair spray makes me think of my senior prom.

The scent of Lysol makes me feel nauseous, since that's what my parents always doused the bathroom with after one of us kiddles was sick... Yuck.

Biosilk Silk Therapy reminds me of my first real salon hair cut... OH GLORY.

Bug spray makes me think of family trips to Yellowstone.

Ginger will forever remind me of my momma and all of her yummy Chinese cooking.

Burned popcorn takes me back to that one time.... It was almost Christmas.... The apartment was filled with smoke.... They were laughing at me.... Yeah.

The sumptuous scent of Cafe Rio tortillas reminds me of... ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD.

Isn't it crazy how powerful our senses can be? Awesome. By the way, I totally did a science project on olfactory memory in 9th grade. My biology teacher thought it was bomb dot com, of course. Booyah! Actually, the project probably stunk (haha, that's punny), since I did it all in the four days before the science fair. Hmm, typical me. Nothing can compare to the famous Acupuncture Science Project of 8th grade, though. Wow, what a night that was. Aaaaaand, apparently I have gotten off track. Are there any smells that bring up fond/horrible memories for YOU, blog friends?

2 comments:

BS said...

Your blogs are really in line with your major lately, I like it! :)

Um...for some weird reason, the bathrooms in the Taylor Building this morning smelled like the Pirates ride at Disneyland...and brought back many childhood memories :) Also, certain perfumes and colognes remind me of certain people. Um...that musty/dusty/old smell reminds me of theaters...I don't know why. Pizza makes me think of cast parties...that's all I can think of right now. :)

MackenziLee said...

subway restraunts smell like Washington DC.
My make up remover from target smells like peter pan.
the mouse i used to use in the orange bottle smelled like my first kiss. And there's still a certain cologne that my exboyfriend wore that will always make me think of him.
the exhaust smell of any sort of vehicle reminds me of four wheeelers in iowa.
there's a certain smell of burning things that reminds me of the blacksmith's shop.
that's all i got at the moment, but i know there's more!