Saturday, July 24, 2010

Gamer confessions

So lately (as in within the past half hour or so), I've been reminiscing about all of the awesome computer games I used to play as a kid. I've never been a fan of console games, but I do like computer games. Does anyone else remember these awesome games from the 1990s and early 2000s? (* = favorites)

Myst*
Oregon Trail 5*
DinoPark Tycoon
SimAnt
Odell Down Under (I ALWAYS forget what this game is called.)
Sid Meier's Civilization II* (I still play this all the time.)
SimCity
Where In the World Is Carmen Sandiego?
Zoombinis*
MathBlaster
The ClueFinders games
Zoo Tycoon*
Jazz Jackrabbit
Monkey Island games*

There's another game I used to love, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. It was an old DOS game involving a kid in a cloak that ran through a castle. You could shoot little fiery bullets, and you had to collect goblets of potion to regain your health. . . . There was lava. And moonlight. . . . Argh. I can't remember what it was called. Perhaps my siblings can help me out with this one.

Wow. I sound like a nerd now. Oh well! Keep in mind, all of these games were played in moderation, with the possible exception of that one time when my brother and I played Civilization II for over two hours straight. But that was just once. And then I ironed 10 shirts to make up for my laziness. I'm not a gamer. No, no, no.

What games--computer, video, board, or whatever else--did you enjoy as a kid?

3 comments:

BS said...

Oh my gosh. I love this! I still play the tycoons....ha! We have family tournaments to see who can make the most money by the end of the scenarios. :)

I also loved Jump Start 2nd grade. Good game. Played that when I was in kindergarten...

Derek said...

I remember that magic cloak game thing! That was a freaking cool game! Now I want to find it...

Rebecca said...

Oregon Trail is my favorite! I also used to play this game where you are a robot and you blow up other robots....I can't remember the name. oh and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego..Classic! I miss simple computers! :)